Sunday, August 19, 2012

Art - Artists of the Dickens Exhibit

a conversation with the ARTISTS of the CHILDREN'S BOOK ILLUSTRATORS GROUP (CBIG)
as part of the exhibition:
DICKENS, A CELEBRATION IN PICTURES
ILLUSTRATIONS BY THE CHILDREN’S BOOK ILLUSTRATORS GROUP
August 25 – October 31, 2012
Yonkers Riverfront Library
One Larkin Center, Yonkers NY 10701

DAY OF DICKENS events: 
September 13 and October 13
Including Craft session with Doreen Mulryan MartsDickens Read and Craft session with T. T. Tyler, 2 sessions: Drawing Dickens’ characters, demo/instruction and his Illustration Process, demo with Wallace West, BOOK SALE AND SIGNINGS WITH EXHIBITING CBIG ARTISTS
exhibiting members: Lisa Cinelli, Deborah Cuneo, Diana Ting Delosh, Peggy Dressel, Doris Ettlinger, Laura Goetz, Leeza Hernandez, Mike Herrod, Sara Kahn, H. Ruth Karpes, Lisa Lavoie, Doreen Marts, Donna Miskend, Sawaka Norii, Marilyn Papas, Clare Pernice, Roberta Rivera, Vicky Rubin, Cheryl Taborsky, T. T. Tyler, Wallace West

DM. Why did you choose this scene/character/story to illustrate? 
ARTIST: I love words and no one dishes up a better serving of words than the master himself, Charles Dickens. I have taken a famous scene from the two books that are his most known and loved by children (Oliver Twist and A Christmas Carol). I chose these moments to illustrate from each book as they are a dramatic snapshot of character study. Dickens was famous for his never-ending plethora of characters. My third art piece is Charles Dickens.
                                                        - Clare Pernice

Like many fans of Oliver Twist, I remember the famous request, "Please Sir, I want some more." Oliver an orphan, who is in a workhouse with desperately hungry boys, asks Mr. Bumble, the parish beadle for another portion of gruel. 
I chose to illustrate the poor and less fortunate children in this scene, because unfortunately, hunger is still a reality in today’s society.
                                                        - Laura Goetz

I picked the story of Bleak House because it has a great cast of Dickensian characters and a complex plot - everything seems tied together and every character is out to get the other.  I also liked that it's one of Dickens’ lesser-known stories, and hasn't been depicted as often as his more famous ones.
                                                        - Mike Herrod

DM. Did you discover something new or interesting while doing your research for this exhibit?    
ARTIST: Yes. He liked animals. He had a favorite cat named Bob after his character, Bob Cratchit from "A Christmas Carol".  Bob the Cat would sit on his desk and keep him company while he wrote. Apparently Dickens loved holding Bob's paw so much that when the cat died, Dickens had the paw stuffed and made into a letter opener - so he could continue holding his paw. This artifact resides at the NYPL. Dickens also had a pet canary named Dick that he pampered by feeding a thimbleful of sherry every morning.
                                                     - Diana Ting Delosh

DM.  Did YOU LEARN TO APPRECIATE DICKENS FROM READING HIS WORK IN SCHOOL OR FROM SEEING A MOVIE OR PLAY?
ARTIST:  In 7th grade our English Lit anthology was 2 inches thick and had NO PICTURES. When we read Dickens’, A Tale of Two Cities, I doodled pictures of Madam DeFarge, Lucy Darnay, etc. 

Early Work, ©Doris Ettlinger
My classmates were very interested in how I visualized the characters. Little did I know that when I grew up I would do this for a living. Here is a picture I show kids when I do school visits.    

                                        -   Doris Ettlinger

DM. Tell me about your illustration process.
ARTIST: I usually come up with ideas and layouts when I'm walking down the street. I do very rough sketches from these before researching the era, clothing online and in books or prints. I like to draw from life, but if I can't, I use photography, sometimes my own or found photos. Then I carefully sketch in the lightly finished lines and add in the color in whichever medium I choose based on the subject.
                                                        - MARILYN PAPAS

I START DRAWING THUMBNAILS ON LITTLE POSTIE NOTES, NAPKINS OR SCRAPS OF PAPER. THEN I RESEARCH DEPENDING ON WHAT I HAVE TO ILLUSTRATE. THAT MIGHT REQUIRE TRAVELING AND TAKING PHOTOS. AFTER THAT, I MAKE COLOR SKETCHES AND REVISE MY SKETCHES UNTIL I PICK ILLUSTRATIONS THAT ARE SUITABLE FOR THE PROJECT. I LIKE WORKING IN WATERCOLOR, GOUACHE AND NATURAL INGREDIENTS SUCH AS COFFEE AND TEA. I LOVE WORKING IN INKS TOO. THE COMPUTER SOFTWARE HAS HELPED ME IMMENSELY WITH MY WORK.

                                                       - ROBERTA RIVERA

There's always a gesture and expression I have in mind before I start. Then I try to create that gesture and expression by memory or image research and shooting my own photographs. The eyes are my favorite part. They can make or break a character or emotion.
                                                       - WALLACE WEST
                          _____________________________
This exhibition programming is underwritten by the Yonkers Public Library Foundation. Free and open the public.
For further information and a schedule and visit 
www.cbig-nycExhibits.blogspot.com    for more info on cbig exhibits and events
view the catalogue
the library’s Facebook page the Yonkers Public Library Riverfront Branch http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Yonkers-Public-Library/73400644755
or call the library at 914-337-1500
This exhibition programming is underwritten by the Yonkers Public Library Foundation. Ages children - adults Free and open the public.